News | MW:M22
Talking about sustainability is one thing, taking things into action is another. This is what MW:M thinks, which not only focuses on sustainability at this year’s conference but also puts it into practice.
When it comes to sustainability, MOST WANTED: MUSIC is being serious. Alongside diversity, sustainability is not only a buzzword that runs through the program of MW:M19. It is also being realized behind the scenes – regarding the choice of location, regional cooperations or waste disposal. All in all, MW:M aims to minimise its CO₂ footstep.
Olaf Kretschmar, organizer, CEO und Cluster Manager of Berlin Music Commission, summarizes the sustainable actions of MW:M19:
When organising the event, we consciously work with local companies. For example, this year’s catering comes from Suppengrün, a family-owned business that purchases its ingredients from the Berlin area. At MW:M19, we are also introducing a cup deposit system to produce less waste. To this end, we will also collect all waste separately disposing it in biodegradable waste bags. The venue Alte Münze, to which we moved last year, is very supportive of these plans.
Less Waste, More Music: MW:M19’s Green Footstep
When it comes to sustainability, MW:M19 does much more behind the scenes. Here’s a list of measures, MW:M takes to build a greener event:
- Regional cooperations: The Berlin family business Suppengrün is supplying MW:M19 with their delicious food – made from seasonal ingredients that come mainly from the Berlin area. It’s fresh and vegetarian or vegan!
- Glass bottles: There are no single-use plastic cups, plates, or cutlery during the whole event! Drinks from the Alte Münze Bar come in returnable glass bottles and water is available from dispensers.
- Glass-deposit system: MW:M19 uses recycled wooden deposit tokens. Also all MW:M team and volunteers are using their own cups during the preparation and the event!
- Fairtrade garments: All volunteers wear fairtrade t-shirts during the event.
- Goodie bags with a good deed: Buy MW:M goodie bags made from 100% organic cotton and sustainable snacks! For every kilo of corn harvested, Wildcorn takes care of providing a blossoming flower strip on a correspondingly large area of arable land and they are launching a recyclable bag in the next few months.
- Recycled paper: All napkins are made of 100% recycled paper, while the vast majority of all printed materials are on recycled paper. MW:M offsets any CO2 emissions by financially supporting our print shop’s participation in an international climate protection project.
- Waste disposal: MW:M separates all waste into garbage bags made of recycled material!
What MW:M19 already converts at this year’s convention, is being discussed in various panels, session and workshops. Learn more about a sustainable music industry from MW:M’s various, renowned speakers – as we’ve listed them here.